I really can’t believe that my freshman year of college has ended. It seems like just yesterday that I was walking across that stage in Mannheim with my tiny class of 48. Now I’ve been at Syracuse University for an entire year and I think that I’ve been pretty successful so far.
I have learned so much this year, more than I ever imagined possible. I have learned who I really am. I have learned what I can stand for and what I can’t. I have learned that as a military brat it’s can be really hard to relate to others. I have learned that people who hurt you are really just insecure. And I have also learned that if you just stand your ground, be yourself, remember who you are, things will eventually work themselves out.
So here’s what I want to say to all of my friends back home who are going to have similar experiences after this summer or in the next few years:
1. If you don’t agree with something, don’t feel like you have to do it just because everyone else does.
2. Fitting in isn’t worth it. Honestly, you’re just not going to fit in, (especially if you’ve lived in Germany for more than two years) so embrace it, stand out.
3. If you stay true to yourself, you’ll eventually find the right people that are worth your time.
4. Past wounds may surface but you’ve dealt with them once before and you can do it again.
5. You’ll miss your family more than you ever imagined.
6. You’ll feel more alone than you ever have in your life.
7. You’ll learn who you really are and you’ll prove to yourself and everyone who has ever doubted you that you can do it. (:
8. Orange is a great color.
9. You’ll do more work than you ever have in your entire life.
It was a rough year, but it was so worth it. I’m thankful for all of the lessons that I learned this year and I’m really looking forward to next year now that I’ve figured things out.
I want to thank everyone who’s been there for me through it all!